How to find travel records for the N-400 application?

Home » FOIA » How to find travel records for the N-400 application?
FOIA, N-400 No Comments

Every applicant who prepares Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, must provide a list of every travel outside the USA (if it exceeds 24 hours).

The table to fill in with these travels is located in Part 9 of the application.

To find the accurate dates of your journeys look through these sources:


  • Passport


The official passport usually presents every trip record. Look through the pages of you pass to see the stamps with dates of your travels.


  • Personal travel records


Try to review the history of your trips using personal records. You may turn for help to your family and friends, look through the payment history of the credit card or restore data from airline or transportation companies.


  • FOIA Request for Travel Records


If you are not sure whether you have listed all the trip records, make an official submission of a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). In fact, if the request does not exceed 100 pages of photocopies it is absolutely free. Form N-400 requires the trip history for the last 5 years. The answer to the request is usually sent back in several weeks.

There are cases when any record of going across the US border does not exist. It happens when CBP officer ‘waves’ people at the border crossing. He may fail to give a stamp or documentation, but you are still responsible for including such travels on application form to increase your chances.